Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery
Services provided by the department
Surgeries for Coronary Artery Disease
Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG)
The most frequently performed surgery is Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG). The mortality for primary isolated coronary artery bypass surgery is less than 2%, well below the benchmark set by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (USA).
Off Pump – Beating Heart CABG
Off pump or Beating heart CABG is a revolutionary technique in bypass surgery. Off pump CABG can be performed only by competent surgeons supported by an experienced team. Our team is well versed with performing off pump CABG using arterial grafts, i.e., LIMA, RIMA and radial artery to achieve total arterial, sequential multi vessel grafting. Nearly 100% of the cases are done off pump, and this includes even patients with reduced heart function (EF).
Beating heart CABG offers distinct advantages over the conventional surgery done using heart lung machine:
- Significant reduction in cost
- Faster rate of recovery
- Minimal stay in ICU and hospital
- Minimal requirement of blood transfusion
- Minimal chances of infection
This procedure is a boon to patients classified as high risk, due to old age, lung diseases, kidney failure, neurological problems, etc.
Due to life style changes, nowadays lot of young patients ends up needing CABG. Because of the complex nature of the blockages, and frequent development of complications, these patients need additional procedures, along with CABG. Our team routinely handles these patients, with a very good success rate. Some of these procedures are:
Endarterectomy: Removal of blocks (Atheroma) that have developed all along the blood vessel, which would otherwise prevent free flow of blood after the bypass graft.
LV Reconstruction (Dor’s procedure): After a heart attack, the portion of the muscle that has suffered the attack is replaced with non-functional scar tissue. This results in the heart dilating and taking on a globular shape, reducing the function. These patients need a repair called Dor’s procedure to restore the shape and function of the heart.
Mitral Valve(MV) Repair: Many patients develop leakage of the Mitral valve after a heart attack. These patients need repair of the valve to fix the leakage.
Ventricular Septal Rupture: After a heart attack, sometimes the muscle inside the heart can rupture leading to the development of a hole and internal leakage of blood, and severe reduction in heart function. These patients need the hole to be closed and it is highly challenging to handle these patients.
Heart Valve Procedures
Our team is well versed with performing both valve repairs and replacements, as per the need of the patient. Our team has received advanced training in valve repairs under Dr. Van Phan Ngyong, Director of Heart Valve Institute, Ho Chi Min city.
Heart valve repair:
Our team strives at repairing all valve problems, as it is desirable because of the following reasons:
- The native valve is preserved, and hence the heart function is better after the surgery
- Avoidance of long term anticoagulation, which is unfortunately a bane of valve replacements
This is particularly beneficial in young and old patients, and in women of child bearing age, in all of whom anticoagulation has its own set of problems.
Our team has the credit of routinely performing multi valvular repairs.
Heart valve replacements:
Sometimes the valve is damaged beyond repair and needs to be replaced. We offer a wide range of mechanical and tissue (Bio prosthetic) valves to choose from, for replacement. There is a valve for all the patients.
Surgery on the Aorta
Our team offers a wide range of surgeries for the aorta
- Aortic valve replacement with aortic root widening: This is done when aortic valve has to be replaced in a patient with a narrow aortic root.
- Bental's procedure: Replacement of the aortic root
- Surgery for aortic aneurysms: The center is well equipped to handle aneurysms of the ascending aorta, arch of the aorta, descending thoracic aorta and abdominal aorta
Surgery for Congenital Heart Disease
Our center routinely handles congenital heart diseases, like ASD, VSD, PDA, Tetralogy of Fallot etc. Our team is well equipped to handle the additional demands that a congenital heart disease places.
We have a full team of qualified paediatric anaesthetists and intensivists who take care of these patients.
Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (MICS)
MICS requires special training and instrumentation. Our center offers a wide range of minimally invasive cardiac procedures like:
- ASD closure
- Mitral valve repair and replacement
- Aortic valve repair and replacement
- Bental's procedure
- Excision of LA Myxoma, etc.
Minimally invasive cardiac surgery offers the following advantages over conventional surgery:
- Less painful
- Early recovery, short hospital stays and early return to normal life
- Small scars, providing cosmetic advantage
- Avoidance of cutting breast bone, preserving the lung function
- Lesser requirement for blood transfusion
Surgery for Heart Failure
Heart failure is the terminal stage in the course of many cardiac diseases. The heart becomes too weak to maintain adequate blood supply to all the organs of the body. In advanced stage, the patient is so sick with breathlessness, tiredness and swelling of the whole body, that he can hardly talk a complete sentence, walk a few steps or even lie down flat. Surgery is still an option in these patients, though it is very challenging. It needs good expertise and a well-equipped facility. Our team specialises in doing surgeries in this subset of patients. They routinely perform CABG, Dor’s procedure, Mitral repair etc., in patients with heart failure.
However, beyond a certain stage the heart failure is so advanced, that the patients become candidates for artificial heart and heart transplants. Our team is exclusively trained in performing these complex procedures. They have a vast experience in setting up and running such successful programs. They were the first to implant the latest 3rd generation artificial hearts in entire Asia. They were also instrumental in the first successful heart transplant performed in Karnataka.
Other Cardiac Operations
- Arrhythmia surgery – Maze procedure
- Coarctation of aorta surgery
- Hybrid heart procedure
- Combined stenting and MICS coronary artery bypass surgery
- Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy – HOCM
- Maze and modified Maze procedure – for atrial fibrillation
- Pulmonary endarterectomy
- Ross procedure
- RSOV surgery
- Septal myectomy for HOCM
- Surgery for Marfan's syndrome problems
- Aortic surgeries
- Valve surgeries
- Surgery for tumours of heart
- Myxoma excision
- Other tumours
- Achalasia cardia
- Intercoastal drainage – ICD
- Lobectomy of lung
- Lung surgeries
- Lung volume reduction surgery
- Mediastinal tumour excision
- Thoracic outlet syndrome surgery
- Aneurysm surgery
- Bypass surgery for atherosclerosis/PAD/PVD
- Bypass surgery for venous disease
- Carotid artery aneurysm surgery
- Carotid bypass surgery
- Carotid body tumour excision
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Surgical bypass for visceral ischemic syndromes
- Varicose vein surgery
- Vein ligation and stripping for varicose veins
- Visceral artery aneurysm surgery
- Visceral ischemic endarterectomy
About The Facility
Multispecialty hospital with all departments and facilities.
A state of the art operation theatre and ICU capable of handling even transplant surgeries.
A team of cardiac Anaesthesiologists, who are very adept at handling all cardiovascular and thoracic surgeries in both adult and paediatric patients. They provide a comprehensive care for the patients in both the operation theatre and the ICU.
A highly trained and dedicated team of nurses in both the operation theatre and ICU.
The surgical team is backed by:
- A state of the art cath lab and team of interventional cardiologists, who are available round the clock
- A dedicated team of physiotherapists
- An expert nutritionist
Dr. Chiran Babu A
MBBS, MS (General Surgery), DNB (Cardiothoracic Surgery)
Consultant Cardiac and Vascular Surgeon Dr. Chiran Babu has completed his medical sc...
Dr. Rajesh T R
MBBS, MS (General Surgery), DNB (General Surgery)
Consultant Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeon Dr. Rajesh T R is a Consultant Cardio...
The services provided by the team encompasses a wide array of cardiac, vascular and thoracic surgical procedures, some of which are listed above.