Dr. Narayana Subramaniam is a national and international award-winning head and neck oncology and reconstructive surgeon. His expertise lies in ablative surgery of the oral cavity, oropharynx, salivary glands, thyroid, larynx, pharynx, sinonasal cavity and anterior skull base, with significant experience in a salvage (post-radiotherapy) and re-operative setting. He also performs regional and microvascular (free) flap reconstruction, with a special interest in facial nerve reanimation, prefabricated dental rehabilitation (jaw-in-a-day) and secondary reconstruction (delayed reconstruction of post-cancer defects).
Passionate about research, he has written a popular textbook on head and neck cancer, published over one hundred and twenty articles and/or book chapters (h-index 14), and given over one hundred talks and lectures in national and international forums.
He has trained over 25 fellows from 6 countries and was designated a Professor by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
He is passionate about innovation; his team has performed pioneering work in jaw reconstruction, performing the world’s first bilateral zygomatic implant perforated free flap, as well as combining patient-specific implants with free flap reconstruction for complex jaw defects. He has also published a novel technique on access to the infratemporal fossa for complex tumours and on novel transcriptomic alterations in chewing tobacco-related oral cancer. He serves on the All-India Managers Association (AIMA) Young Leaders Council, is the Oncology Mentor for GE India’s Edison Accelerator program and has mentored numerous startups in the healthcare-technology space. In his new role at SPARSH, in additional to complex head and neck surgery for benign and malignant disease, he will focus on rapid clinical application of emerging technologies, improving clinical outcomes and reducing cost through digital intervention and innovation, as well as improving patient experience.
- Most Promising Healthcare Leader of the Year at the 2nd Annual Pharma and Health Tech Summit (2023)
- Business World Healthcare 40 under 40 (2023)
- Asia GCC Award for Healthcare Leadership (2023)
- Bharat Chikitsa Puraskar National Award (2022)
- NESIN International Best Research Award (2021)
- Amrita Outstanding Researcher Award from Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences (2018)
- Federation for Head and Neck Oncology Travel Fellowship (2017)
- Federation for Head and Neck Oncology Gold Medal for best research paper presentation (2017)
- International Academy of Oral Oncology 6th World Congress best poster presentation – reconstruction category (2017)
- Federation for Head and Neck Oncology Gold Medal for best video presentation (2016)
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research Travel Grant (2016)
- TransOral Robotic Surgery International Visiting Scholarship at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital (2016)
- Gold Medal for highest marks in Preventive and Social Medicine (2012)
- Indian Council for Medical Research Short Term Studentship Grant (2008)
- Oral cavity
- Salivary glands
- Sinonasal cavity
- Anterior skull base
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine)
- MS (Gen. Surgery)
- MCh (Head & Neck Surgery and Oncology)
- MRCS (Gen. Surgery)
- Fellowship in Robotic Surgery World Laparoscopy Hospital, Gurgaon
- Fellowship in Head and Neck Surgery Chris O’Brien Lifehouse,
- Sydney Head and Neck Cancer Institute, Sydney