Dr. Shabala Paul Pallippat is a distinguished Consultant in Liver Transplant Anaesthesiology. With over six years of exclusive experience, she has established herself as a specialist in the intricate field of liver transplant and hepatobiliary anaesthesiology. Driven by a profound passion for her work, she actively contributes to the peri-operative care of both adult and paediatric patients undergoing liver transplant surgeries.
Previously, in her role as a Junior Consultant in Liver Transplant (Anaesthesia), Dr. Shabala played a pivotal part in a multidisciplinary team, managing liver transplant and complex hepatopancreaticobiliary surgeries. Her expertise covered open and robotic procedures, where she independently oversaw anaesthetic management for donors and recipients, post-operative intensive care, and overall medical care for these patients. Dr. Paul’s commitment to excellence is evident through her dedication to pre-operative patient evaluation and optimization, actively participating in multi-disciplinary meetings with surgeons, hepatologists and critical care specialists.
Dr. Shabala’s academic journey includes fellowships at renowned institutions, underscoring her dedication to advancing her skills. She underwent specialized training at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, focusing on the peri-operative management of liver transplant surgeries. Additionally, she completed a formal fellowship in solid organ transplant, encompassing liver, renal, and pancreas transplantation, at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi. During this fellowship, she managed anaesthesia for various transplantations and received comprehensive training in both donor and recipient care for live and cadaveric transplant surgeries.
Beyond her expertise in liver transplant surgeries, Dr. Shabala has extensive experience managing gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary surgeries, including hepatic and pancreatic resections. Her skill set further extends to major vascular procedures, advanced laparoscopic and robotic surgeries, GI endoscopic procedures as well as providing remote anaesthesia and non-operating room anaesthesia.
Dr. Paul’s commitment to academic and research endeavours is reflected in her publications in journals and contributions to book chapters. She has presented her work at various national and international conferences, earning accolades such as the Best Poster Award at the Master Class in Liver Disease, 2018 in Chennai.
Apart from her clinical responsibilities, Dr. Shabala actively engages in teaching and training, serving as an organizing committee member for events related to transplant anaesthesia care.Dr. Shabala stands as a dedicated professional contributing significantly to the medical community and the advancement of liver transplant anaesthesiology.
- Paul S, George M. Evolution of the concepts of brain death and brain stem death. Amrita J Med 2020;16:43-9
- Shabala Paul, Subramaniam N. Preoperative Assessment and Anaesthetic Considerations in Head and Neck Cancer Surgery. Comprehensive Management of Head and Neck Cancers (pp. 38-50). Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, India.
- Shabala Paul, Subramaniam N. Management of Pain and Palliative Care in Head and Neck Cancer. Comprehensive Management of Head and Neck Cancers (pp. 586-591). Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, India.
- Thomas M, Kumar L, Jain P, Sarma C, Paul S, Surendran S. Correlation between radial and femoral arterial blood pressure during reperfusion in living donor liver transplantation. Indian J Anaesth 2021;65:302-8
- MBBS – Coimbatore Medical College
- MD (Anaesthesiology) – M.S. Ramaiah Medical College
- Fellowship in Solid Organ Transplant Anaesthesia – Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences