Dr. Harisha P N
MBBS, MCh - Neuro Surgery (NIMHANS)
Dr. Harisha P N is a Neurosurgeon at SPARSH Hospital, Bangalore. He has over 18 years of experience in this field.
He completed MBBS from J.S.S. Medical College (Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences), Mysore in 2004 and MCh. - Neuro Surgery from National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS) in 2009 where he was awarded the “Best outgoing student award” (Gold Medal).
He has visited various Centers of Excellence abroad for higher training. He has gained vast experience in the field of Neurosurgery, having treated a wide spectrum of Neurosurgical disorders. Previously he has worked as faculty at NIMHANS and as a consultant Neurosurgeon at Manipal hospital, Miller road for several years. His areas of expertise include:
- Endoscopic and minimally invasive skull base surgery – an effective and minimally invasive approach through the nose for treating skull base pathologies like - nonfunctioning and functioning pituitary adenomas, craniopharyngioma, skull base meningioma, chordoma, CSF rhinorrhea, etc.
- Epilepsy surgery - he has been a part of one of the best comprehensive Epilepsy programs routinely performing complex epilepsy surgeries including stereo EEG.
- Vascular neurosurgery – for treatment of aneurysm, AVM, cavernoma; he is trained to perform complex vascular surgeries like bypass surgery, carotid endarterectomy, etc.
- Microsurgery for tumors of brain and spine such as gliomas, meningioma, pediatric brain tumors, spinal intramedullary tumors, etc.
Advanced training & Memberships:
- Clinical Observership in endoscopic and minimally invasive Cranial base surgery at Center for Cranial Base Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Clinical Observership in Endoscopic skull base surgery and ROVOT (robotically operated video telescopy) at St. Luke’s Medical center (with Dr. Amin Kassam, a pioneer in the field), Milwaukee, WI, USA.
- Course in 3D ultrasound and neuronavigation at National Centre for 3D ultrasound in Surgery, Trondheim, Norway.
- Life membership - Neurological society of India, Bangalore neurological society, Skull base surgery society of India, Indian Medical association.
Awards & Achievements:
- Silver jubilee award for the “Best outgoing student” in MCh Neurosurgery (2009) – awarded by National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciensces (NIMHANS), Bangalore.
- Invited for the Republic Day Parade on 26th January 2010 from the Prime Minister’s Box, by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India for excellent academic performance in MCh Neurosurgery.
- M.B.B.S. – “Best outgoing student” - awarded by J.S.S. Medical College, Mysore.
- Gold medals in Surgery, Pharmacology, Pathology during MBBS - awarded by J.S.S. Medical College, Mysore.
- Impact of 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene polymorphism on neural tube defects – presented under “Top Ten Abstracts in Pediatric Neurosurgery” at 2009 annual meeting of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, New Orleans, U.S.A.
- Many publications in national and international journals